Way beyond mere pretty, florals always make a gorgeous entrance.
Florals are back and the cool girl’s go-to print come race day. For a romantic vibe, look for playful shapes in softly ruffled chintzy prints - Zimmermann, Saba, Alannah Hill and Alice McCall do them beautifully.
Pictured above | Saba, Manning Cartell, Zimmermann and Saba
For a more modern take, choose an abstract print executed in a stricter body-con shapes. Manning Cartell and By Johnny. at David Jones do them best. A feature ruffle on a hemline or sleeve adds a soft edge and feels flirty and feminine. Add a hat or headpiece that echo the colours in your dress. Straw boaters and floral hairbands are super-strong this season - we love the selections at Country Road, Alannah Hill and David Jones. Style your hair around your hat noting that back is generally best. Always have a little dress rehearsal the day before to make sure it sits just right. Your race wear credentials depend on it.
Pictured above | Country Road, Mimco, Country Road
Looking to make an entrance? Exude confidence rather than letting your dress speak for you. Remember - racy has no place at the races. Resist those bad exhibitionist urges - here are some quick pointers.
- Don’t let the voice in your head tell you showing lots of tanned skin is a good idea. It’s not.
- Go easy on the spray tan and avoid applying too much makeup. It doesn’t stand up well when combined with champagne and sun.
- Choose one body feature and work it to death, and leave the rest of your look prim and demure. You will look less seductive and more stylish.
- Avoid wearing the frock of the season. Everyone will have seen it and you may run into yourself on the day!
- Feet sore? Do not take your shoes off. Pack some bandaids or wear a lower heel. Wittner has a good selection of pretty flats and mid-heels begging for a day at the races.
- Carry a bag – woven, structured, or soft – that is just big enough for all your essentials. Small clutch bags are strictly for after 5 only, whilst large totes are reserved for work or shopping. Head to Saba, Mimco, County Road and Tony Bianco for the best range.
Pictured above | Country Road, Chloe from David Jones, Mimco and Saba.
Remember that real men wear florals too, and Saba’s range of flower-themed ties and kerchiefs are delicious. Leave your work suit in the wardrobe today - it’s way too corporate. Invest in a suit perfect for special occasions during the warmer months. Forget navy, grey and black, and choose cream or light blue instead (find at Saba and MJ Bale).
Pictured above | MJ Bale (both styles & pocket square) and Parker & Co (loafers & hat)
Add a pair of RM Williams burnished, hand-made shoes in black, oxblood or honey. Or if you are an obsessed boot-wearer, make the horses jealous and wear your fave RM boots. They are Australian race wear royalty.